Monday, December 20, 2010

peacemaker assemblies

Back at St. Agnes we used to have a weekly school assembly to recognize "Peacemakers" in each class. A "Peacemaker" is chosen from each class and another student explains what that student had done to deserve this recognition.

Teachers had different ways of handling the selection process. Sometimes kids were nominated. Sometimes numbers were chosen out of a hat. You wanted to be fair and make sure each student was recognized throughout the year.

You would hear similar affirmations on a weekly basis. That ________ is kind, shares, is a good listener, helped ______ on the playground, helped ______ with their homework, puts others first, doesn't talk behind your back, is a good friend, etc. One that always struck me was that _______ always had a smile on their face.

Today, this still strikes me. This affirmation was used to describe me several times during those peacemaker assemblies. And my how times have changed...

Today I thought about smiling. The power of a smile. What goes into a smile. A smile is easy to produce when you're genuinely happy. You don't even have to think about it. It just happens.

Then I began thinking of all the times when I've had to fake it and put on a happy face, and I've realized that I've become this person over the years who is rarely content, always stressed, never satisfied. I've become a person who can suck the happiness out of a room. That's NOT ok. That's NEVER ok.

How do I become a person who can bring joy into people's lives again? How do I become a peacemaker again?

Here's to making a conscious effort to be peaceful, joyful, optimistic, and energetic again.
Here's to making a conscious effort to build up and support the community around me.
Here's to making a conscious effort to smile.

Love. I need to make a conscious effort to love. Love God. Love others. Love me. A life without love is empty.

I want to be overflowing with love. Maybe I've built up too many walls and dammed up the love inside me. I'm ready to let my barriers down. To let love in. And let love flow.

Let's start with smiles.

"Show me that smile again. Ooh show me that smile. Don't waste another minute on your crying. We're nowhere near the end. The best is ready to begin. As long as we got each other. We got the world sitting right in our hands. Baby rain or shine; All the time. We got each other Sharing the laughter and love."

No comments: